Nail polish is one of the most common and essential product in every women’s of beauty products.
Girls like to paint their nails to add elegance to their hands but as we all know, we should not use it a lot or nails will begin to dry and turn yellow. In fact, it turned out that the excessive use of nail polish could be bad for your health as well. A recent study revealed that the chemicals found in nail polish can reach the bloodstream within two hours of placing it on nails and can cause health problems, like increasing the rate of a hormone linked to breast cancer, ovarian and thyroid disorders, and problems in the nervous system; diabetes and obesity.
The chemicals found in nail polish are:
- Toluene: a solvent that gives the last touch of softness to nails and preserves the color. It can affect the central nervous system and causes disorders related to reproductive capacity (long terms effects). Headaches, the feeling of weakness, loss of consciousness and nausea (short-term effects).
- Formaldehyde: a colorless gas that helps to increase the duration of paint storage. If you suffer from allergies, this chemical can cause skin infections and possible chemical burns. In severe cases, it can lead to heart rhythm disorders.
- Depotel phthalates: is used to provide nail polish fragrance. The presence of this component can lead to endocrine disorders, gynecological and respiratory diseases.
(Nails do not allow materials to pass through them, however “Tri-Vinyl Phosphate” has the ability to pass through the skin or around the nail into the skin).
But some brands of nail polish available on the market do not contain these chemicals. Many packs and bottles have:
- “5-FREE”: it means that the product does not contain Formaldehyde or its derivatives, Toluene, Phthalate or Camphor.
- “3-FREE”: means that the nail polish is free of three harmful ingredients: Formaldehyde, Phthalate De butyl, and Toluene.
So, before buying any nail polish, first of all, check the ingredients, paint only your fingers or toes (don’t do both), don’t inhale and pregnant women should avoid using nail polish and remember your health is in your hands.